Select Language





Ofsted Report

Special Educational Needs and Disability

Whoberley Hall Primary School

Overdale Road, Coventry, CV5 8AJ.

Telephone: 02476673452

Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Report

General Statement

We are a mainstream school with approximately 210 children. The majority of our children are expected to reach the learning goals for their age range.

A small number of our pupils do have special educational needs. Children are identified as having SEND when their progress has slowed or stopped and the interventions and the resources we have put in place do not enable the child to improve.

What does SEND mean?

What does SENDCO mean?

SEND stands for Special Educational Needs and Disability.

SENDCO means Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator.

Who should I contact if I want to find out more about how the school supports pupils with SEND?

Mrs R Davis is th SENDCO.

She is very approachable and happy to meet with parents and answer any questions that you may have.

What kinds of SEND do you make provision for at this school?

Typically, children with SEND in our school have difficulties with speech and language, learning, especially with writing, social or emotional development and sensory difficulties with sight. We also have a small number of children on the Autistic Spectrum.

Where can I find information about the school SEND policy?

Our SEND policy will give you detailed information about how we make provision, monitor and assess all pupils with SEND.

Please ask at the school office for a copy of the school’s policy or view the policy in the Special Educational Needs menu.

If you wish to discuss our SEND Policy or find out more information of the provision that we provide please feel free to contact one of our SENDCos.

How do you know if a pupil has SEND?

Whoberley Primary school has a whole school approach to supporting children with SEND. Every teacher is responsible and accountable for all pupils within their class.

There are two ways to identify pupils:

1. Open Door Policy

Parents can approach teachers or SENDCo at any time to raise concerns about their child.

2. Pupil Progress Meetings

These take place every term between the SENDCo and class teacher. At these meetings teachers discuss any concerns they have and to create an action plan which includes strategies for the class teacher to use, provision and resources that can be used with the class teacher and the teaching assistant.

The SENDCo supports the staff to plan activities such as small group work or special programmes to help the child. If these activities do not help the children make progress the SENDCo may suggest other programmes or temporary additional support or to ask for advice or assessment from an external specialist service.

As soon as your child SEND has been identified we will contact you to arrange a meeting to discuss plans to support your child and to help them to make better progress.

How will I know if my child is receiving SEN support?

How can I find out more about what my child is learning at the moment?

How will I be involved with planning for and supporting my child’s learning?

Who will help me to support him / her at home?

If your child’s class teacher is concerned about their progress in any area of the curriculum they will arrange to meet with you to discuss their concerns and any next steps that can be taken in school or at home.

As soon as your child’s SEND is identified either the class teacher or the SENCo will contact you to arrange a meeting to discuss your child’s Individual Education Plan (IEP). These meetings will take place three times a year in the Autumn, Spring and Summer term. These meetings provide you with an awareness and opportunity to become involved in your child’s targets.

The school is very happy to discuss and contribute any ideas which we think could be beneficial at home. There are also various training schemes available through the local authority or from parent groups that can help you support your child’s learning at home.

You can also speak to your child’s class teacher or the SENDCo through our open door policy.

How is my child involved in his / her own learning and decisions made about his / her education?

We are very keen for your child to have the greatest possible control of their own learning. When planning, setting and reviewing targets, the class teacher and SENDCO will always hold discussions with your child, taking into consideration their thoughts and feelings about their learning.

How do your teachers help pupils with learning difficulties or disabilities to learn?

All the class teachers and teaching assistants have the highest expectations for your child and all the children in their class. Teachers plan creative and interactive lessons that support all children’s learning styles. Lessons, where possible, are tailored to the interests of the children. All teaching is about building on the knowledge that your child has, on what they can do and can understand. Your child’s teacher and teaching assistant will put in place specific strategies, which may have been suggested by the SENDCo or from an outside agency, to enable your child to access all the learning tasks.

How do you make sure that the SEN support is helping pupils make good progress?

How will I know that my child is making progress?

How do you check and review the progress made by pupils with SEND? How will I be involved in those reviews? Who else will be there?

At Whoberley Primary School your child’s progress is continually monitored by their class teacher.

His / her progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level, where appropriate, is given in reading, writing and numeracy.

If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used that shows their level in more detail and will show smaller but significant steps of progress. These levels are called ‘P levels’.

Your child’s progress and levels will be reported to you at the end of the year in your child’s Annual Report. You will also be invited to an IEP meeting each term with your child’s teacher where you will have the opportunity to discuss your child’s progress.

How does your school support pupils’ emotional and social development?

Within our Personal, Social, Health and Education Curriculum the children take part in a variety of activities that look at supporting the children in emotional and social situations. The children may also take part in small group work to identify different feelings that occur in different social situations.

At lunchtimes we operate a Playground Buddy System where allocated children are trained to support the other children in playing a variety of games or by supporting them emotionally and socially in their interactions with other children.

For children with specific social, mental or emotional health difficulties we work with the Educational Psychology Service, CAMHS, REACH and the Learning and Behaviour Support Service.

Who else provides services in school for children with SEND?

At Whoberley we have a range of Outside Agencies that work with our children.

These include:

Ø Learning and Behaviour Support Service,

Ø The Key Unit,

Ø Coventry Autism Support Service,

Ø Speech and Language Therapy Service,

Ø Occupational Health Service,

Ø Educational Psychologist

Ø School Nurse

Ø Sensory Support Service

Ø REACH Service


Ø Minority Group Support Service

What social, before and after school and other activities are available for pupils with SEN? How can my child and I find out about these activities?

At the start of every new term your child will be given a new clubs letter. You will also find information about clubs each week on the Newsletter.

If you have any questions about clubs that your child is interested in please talk to the SENDCo or the office staff.

We also provide a wraparound service called ‘All Stars’ club. All children within the school are able to come to the before school and after school provision. If your child has any particular needs the All Stars staff are always willing to talk to you.

How will you help my child make successfully move into the next class or secondary school or other move or transition?

As a school, we monitor the transition between year groups very closely. Class teachers meet on a regular basis, both formally and informally, to discuss ideas and share good practise regarding children in different year groups.

When looking at children with SEND, teachers will hold transition meetings and write joint IEP plans to ensure that your child’s needs continue to be met in the next year group.

If your child is in Year 6 we also work closely with secondary schools to ensure that our children are fully prepared for the next step in their learning careers. SENDCos and class teachers will meet with your child’s new school to discuss your child’s needs and the provision which is currently put into place. All the children in Year 6 have the opportunity to visit their new secondary school, if appropriate children with SEND have the chance to make more visits to their secondary school.

In the Summer term, all children have the opportunity to spend time with their new class. If necessary teachers and teaching assistants will visit your child in their class.

Transition meetings are held between current and new staff to pass on information about all the children in the class and in particular children with SEND.

Who should I contact to find out about other support for parents and families of children with SEND?

Where can I find out about other services that might be available for our family and my child?

If you require support please contact:

Parent Partnership Service

Limbrick Wood Centre

Thomas Naul Croft

Tile Hill


CV4 9QX.

Telephone: 02476694307


Coventry Family Information Service:

How is Whoberley Hall accessible to children with SEND?

What happens if my child needs specialist equipment or other facilities?

Whoberley Primary school is a single level building with ramp access into the school where needed.

We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

Before and After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.

Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.

The school will work closely with other agencies involved in the care of your child in order to determine whether or not any additional equipment or facilities are required for them.

Who should I contact if I’m not happy with my child’s learning and / or progress?

At Whoberley, we would hope that your first point of call would always be your child’s class teacher. However, it is also possible to make an appointment with the SENCO if you have concerns around your child’s SEND. If your concern is still not resolved, you can then arrange a meeting with the head teacher, who will advise you of any further steps that you may wish to take.